A Mexican man has apparently taken his own life just half an hour after being deported from the United States.
Guadalupe Olivas Valencia, 45, jumped from a bridge at the border after he was deported for the third time.
He was found unconscious next to a plastic bag with his belongings and died in hospital a short while later.
His death came as the Trump administration issued new guidelinesto widen the net for deporting illegal immigrants from the US.
Source: US & Canada – BBC News
PennDOT, police remind drivers about new rules of road
- The “Child Passenger Safety” law update, which went into effect in August 2016, states that children are required to be buckled into a rear-facing car seat until they are age 2 or meet the maximum weight or height requirements set by the manufacturer of the seat.
- “Daniel’s Law” honors motorcyclist Daniel Gallatin, who died in 2013. It was signed in January 2017 and increases the penalty for texting while driving resulting in serious bodily injury or death.
- The “Ignition Interlock Law” affects first-time or subsequent DUI offenders. It requires drivers to install an Ignition Interlock system in every car they operate or lease for more than a year. Each system costs $1,000. The law will go into effect in August 2017.
- “Pedestrian Safety Laws at unsignalized intersections” state that a driver of a vehicle emerging from or entering an alley, building, private road, or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian approaching on any sidewalk extending across the alley, building entrance, road, or driveway. Failure to do so could lead to a fine and three points on the driver’s license.
- It is illegal to overtake or pass a vehicle yielding to a pedestrian within a crosswalk. Pedestrians are also required to use the sidewalk and marked crosswalks where provided. When there is no sidewalk, pedestrians should walk along the shoulder or the road’s edge as far away from traffic as possible and in the opposite direction of traffic.
Read Source: PennDOT, police remind drivers about new rules of road | WPXI
Motorists in New Stanton could be using three new roundabouts this week.
The circular intersections are tentatively set to open Friday as part of improvements along the Interstate 70 corridor, said Dominec Caruso, a PennDOT assistant construction manager.
Two roundabouts are part of a redesigned I-70 interchange that has been shifted west from its previous location. They will allow drivers to detour around a section of Center Avenue that is scheduled for closure in early March to allow for improvements and replacement of a bridge that crosses the interstate.
Caruso said construction of the roundabout system essentially is complete.
Source: New roads in New Stanton: 3 roundabouts could debut this week | TribLIVE
NEW YORK – Six teenagers have fallen through ice into an off-limits pond in New York’s Central Park but have been rescued.
It happened Monday evening at the southern end of the park.
Police say the 15- and 16-year-olds were on the ice when it gave way. A nearby sign said, “Danger Thin Ice Keep Off.”
Police and fire rescue units including divers responded and pulled the teenagers out of the water.
A police spokesman says the teens are expected to be OK.
Source: 6 teenagers fall through ice into Central Park pond, rescued | Fox News