- A Duke Energy dam containing a 1,100-acre reservoir in North Carolina is breached, and may be causing coal ash to flow into the nearby Cape Fear River.
- Hurricane Florence brought rain measured in feet to North Carolina, followed by rising rivers and standing water in fields.
- The president of Duke Energy’s North Carolina operations, David Fountain, told CNBC earlier this week that the impact from Hurricane Florence has been the most severe he’s ever experienced.
Severe storms tore through southern Minnesota, causing widespread damage Thursday night.
The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning for Dakota, Goodhue and Rice Counties, as well as for Dodge and Goodhue Counties.
Many are missing and it is feared that more than 200 people in total may have drowned. Rescue efforts resumed on Friday after being halted overnight.
The MV Nyerere ferry overturned near Ukara island on its way from Bugorora.
It is thought the overloaded vessel tipped over when crowds on board moved to one side as it docked.
MANILA (Reuters) – The Philippines said on Monday a total of 250,730 tons of paddy rice has been lost due to the strong typhoon that hit the northern provinces over the weekend, according to initial estimates.
A couple from New York was killed following a small plane crash in Woburn, Massachusetts.
The plane crashed into the woods behind a house on Minchin Drive around 11 a.m. Saturday.
The victims were identified as 65-year-old Dr. Michael Graver and his 52-year-old wife, Jodi Cohen, of Manhasset.
Investigators say the couple was headed to Massachusetts
In its 2 a.m. update, the National Hurricane Center said the storm is expected to weaken to a tropical depression Sunday morning. It was moving west, now slightly quicker than before, traveling at about 6 mph, with sustained winds at 40 mph.
The storm’s death toll climbed to 12 on Saturday, a number that’s expected to rise.
- Florence made landfall as a hurricane near Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, Friday morning. The tropical storm was located about 15 miles west of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- A mother and an infant were killed when a tree fell onto their home in Wilmington. Police said the father was taken to a nearby hospital.
- More than 16 inches of rain have fallen in southeast North Carolina and another 20 to 25 inches is on the way, the hurricane center said.
- Over 700,000 homes and businesses were without power in North Carolina on Friday night, according to North Carolina Emergency Management.
- Nearly 2,100 flights have been canceled through Saturday.
- 11 million Americans live in areas under storm watches and warnings.
Source: Tropical Storm Florence: 5 killed as storm hits North Carolina, South Carolina, as a hurricane today – latest weather forecast, path, power outages, flooding zone impact – live updates – CBS News
(CNN)Explosions and fires rocked nearly 40 homes and businesses in three Massachusetts towns on Thursday, leaving at least 10 people injured, one critically. The incidents may have resulted from an issue with gas service, officials said.Explosions set structures on fire across dozens of blocks and forced evacuations in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover, Massachusetts State Police said. Not all gas had been shut off by Thursday evening and some of the lines were overpressurized, officials said.