The suspect drove a gray truck and was armed with a gun, which he fired during at least two of the incidents.
The suspect has mostly taken cellphones, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
The neighborhoods where the robberies occurred include Mar Vista, West Adams, Picfair Village, Westchester, Mid-Wilshire, Carthay Circle, Beverly Grove, Fairfax, Crestview, Faircrest Heights, and Palms, police said.
Police warned residents in the area to consider the following: • Always be alert to your surroundings and the people around you; • Try to stay in well-lit areas; • Don’t walk alone at night and always avoid areas where there are few people; • Be careful when people stop you for directions, always reply from a distance, and never get too close to the car; • If you feel you’re being followed, walk to a well-populated area; • Don’t resist. Give up your property, don’t give up your life; • Report the crime to the police, try to describe the attacker accurately.
A detailed description of the suspect was not disclosed.
- Chateau Boswell in St. Helena Napa Valley was destroyed Sunday in the Glass Fire
- It’s one of only a handful of family-run wineries in the famous California wine region and opened in 1979
- Fire has also ravaged the likes of Castello di Amorosa and Venge, plus Merus Wines and Davis Estates were under imminent threat
- Officials said 64 other wineries were within the evacuation or evacuation warning areas
- The Black Rock Inn bed and breakfast was also up in flames as 1,000 firefighters struggled to contain the blaze
- Around 2,000 people have been told to leave their homes, and a further 3,000 to prepare to do so as the wildfires ripped into Santa Rosa and St. Helena
- California wildfires have scorched more than 3.7 million acres so far in 2020, far exceeding any single year
- More people are leaving California than arriving, driven out by worsening wildfires, power outages and the skyrocketing cost of living
- In 2018 more than 86,000 people left California for Texas, nearly 70,000 left for Arizona and about 55,000 left for Washington
- Between 2007 and 2016, some 5million residents moved to California and 6million people moved out to other states
- According to a poll locals say they consider leaving due to the high cost of housing, heavy taxation, or political culture
- Today more than two dozen fires are blazing, ripping through a record 3.1million acres of land and killing 22 people, the worse inferno in the state’s history
(CNN)Two Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies were shot while in the city of Compton on Saturday night, according to the department’s official Twitter account.“One male deputy and one female deputy were ambushed as they sat in their patrol vehicle,” the tweet read. “Both sustained multiple gunshot wounds and are in critical condition. They are both currently undergoing surgery. The suspect is still at large.”Sheriff Alex Villanueva and Capt. Kent Wegener said during a briefing that the incident took place at 7 p.m. local time (10 p.m. ET). Wegener said the suspect approached from behind the deputies’ vehicle and walked along the passenger side of the car. He acted as if he was going to walk past the car, raised a pistol and shot multiple times hitting both deputies, Wegener said.