Live Updates: House Adjourns Until Tonight After McCarthy Loses 6th Speaker Vote
The Republican leader failed to gain the speaker’s post in another three straight votes, and the House adjourned until 8 p.m. The empty speaker’s position means that the House is at a standstill. Without sworn members, it is unable to perform oversight, pass bills or set up constituent services.
- Sources say House Republicans discuss ‘nuclear option’: Lower vote threshold to be speaker
- House adjourns until 8 p.m.
- McCarthy loses speaker vote for the sixth time
- McCarthy says: ‘We’re gonna break … then go meet’
- Boebert calls on McCarthy to withdraw
- Who is Byron Donalds, latest protest nominee against McCarthy?