Senator Catherine Cortez Masto holds seat, according to projected results, giving Democrats control of the upper house.
- The Democratic Party will retain majority control of the US Senate after winning a pivotal race in Nevada
- Senator Catherine Cortez Masto is projected to defeat Republican challenger Adam Laxalt, who was endorsed by Donald Trump
- The result means Democrats will now have 50 Senate seats – with Republicans currently on 49
- Georgia is still waiting on a Senate result, and will hold a run-off election on 6 December, after neither candidate won an outright majority
- Meanwhile, Republicans appear to be inching closer to a majority in the House of Representatives