PITTSBURGH — Holding a chain and trying to hook it to a First National ATM, two suspects were captured on surveillance footage in front of Stage AE on the North Shore trying to get rich.
But on Tuesday, instead of ending up with cash, the duo landed themselves in jail.
“Dude what are you doing everyone can see you,” said Michael Klein, a bystander who witnessed the end of the attempted theft.According to police, at about 4:30 a.m. in front of Stage AE on the North Shore, John Dawson and Jessica Jastraub walked over to the First National ATM.
The duo, captured on multiple surveillance cameras, had a black drawstring bag. Inside was a chain that they used to try to pry open the ATM. The problem was that it was all on camera with people like Michael watching.
“There are a couple over there, a couple over here, some at Tequila Cowboy, and Jerome Bettis Bar across the street,” Klein said.
He was talking about cameras; Klein said he and his friends had just arrived to get in line for a concert that happens tonight when he saw police and asked what was going on.
The cops told him that Dawson was trying to break into the ATM while Jastraub played lookout.
“I mean it’s pretty stupid for someone to rob someone, but mid-daylight on a busy street with a bunch of cameras everywhere it’s pointless,” said Klein.
Both Dawson and Jastraub had out-of-state licenses and said they had been living in Pittsburgh for a few weeks without a permanent residence. Both were taken from the North Shore to Allegheny County Jail.
- 1 killed in crash involving SUV, box truck on Route 51 in Fayette County
- Anne Heche in coma, critical condition after Los Angeles crash, spokeswoman says
- Woman charged after allegedly hitting multiple parked cars while leaving concert at Star Lake
- VIDEO: Woman charged after allegedly hitting multiple parked cars while leaving concert at Star Lake
- DOWNLOAD the Channel 11 News app for breaking news alerts