EVERETT, Pa. —
A 3-year-old boy died at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh after an incident that started with a report that he was choking on baby wipes at a home in Bedford County.
Police said they were called to a house on East First Street in Everett Brough on Saturday night for a report that Travis W. Young, of Everett, was choking on the wipes. EMS personnel were able to remove the wipes from Young’s airway.
According to the criminal complaint, the boy had bruising and marks on his chest and neck consistent with being caused by an adult.
His cause of death was ruled a homicide and, according to investigators, was determined to be a result of manual strangulation and asphyxiation.
His step mother, 31-year-old Chelsea Cooley, of Everett, is charged with criminal homicide and other offenses.