North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has supervised the successful test of a new “high-tech” tactical weapon, state-run media say.
The KCNA news agency gave no details on the type of the weapon, saying only it had been developed over a long period.
But it is the first known inspection of a major weapons test in a year.
In a summit in June Mr Kim and US President Donald Trump agreed the Korean peninsula should denuclearise, but a detailed plan was never set out.
Discussions aimed at setting up a second summit between Mr Kim and Mr Trump did not happen as planned this week and relations between the North and the US appear to have soured since the historic meeting in Singapore.
South Korean President Moon Jae-In plans to deliver the message during a meeting with Pope Francis; Sen. Corey Gardner reacts to the report and U.S. relations with the regime.
Troops from North and South Korea have started removing some of the more than 800,000 landmines buried along their border, officials say.
In the South, clearing has started at the heavily fortified Joint Security Area (JSA) in the village of Panmunjom.
Mines will also be removed from a separate site where hundreds of soldiers were killed in the Korean war.
The move was agreed when the leaders of the two Koreas, Kim Jong-un and Moon Jae-in, met last month in Pyongyang.
All landmines in the JSA, which is the only portion of the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) where forces stand face-to-face, are expected to be removed by military personnel within the next 20 days, South Korea’s defence ministry said in a statement on Monday.
- Kim Jong-un’s faith in Trump ‘unchanged’
- Korean reunions: Families divided by war meet in North
- Why North Korea is in no hurry to please the US
- N Korea ‘making missiles’ despite US thaw
No footage of the parade has been released but news agency AFP, which had a reporter at the scene, and NK News, which had pictures from North Korean state TV, said no ICBMs had been seen.
Thousands of North Korean “soldier-builders” in olive green uniforms and bright red hardhats are doing everything from digging ditches to putting up walls on multi-story apartment blocks and government buildings in this northern city near the Chinese border.
The Sept. 9 anniversary is shaping up to be the biggest event since Kim assumed power in late 2011.
A US Air Force plane carrying what are believed to be the remains of US troops killed during the Korean War some 65 years ago arrived Friday morning at Osan Air Base in South Korea.
At Sohae, where cranes have been spotted tearing down an engine testing stand, the North Koreans have previously worked to develop engines for their intercontinental ballistic missiles.
ICBMs threaten the US homeland in a way that could fray US alliances in Asia and eventually even unseat the US as a dominant power in the region. As Business Insider previously reported, freezing North Korea’s ICBM program has been a key focus of the Pentagon for years.
Only a small amount of actual work has taken place in dismantling the sites, but the significance of the sites, and their place in Trump and Kim’s budding relationship, gives reason for hope.