(CNN)A man who police believe shot three people — killing one — on Tuesday is in custody, police said.The shooting happened in a manager’s office on an upper level of a Stop & Shop grocery in the community of West Hempstead, New York. A couple hundred people were inside the store, police said.Gabriel DeWitt Wilson is someone “we believe is the shooter,” Nassau County Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder said before Wilson was taken into custody.“He left the scene, and he was witnessed still carrying the handgun,” Ryder told reporters.
Two people were killed and two others were injured in a “horrific” series of stabbings on a New York City subway line, Brooklyn’s borough president said Saturday.
The stabbings occurred between Friday morning and Saturday morning on the A train, according to police. Authorities are investigating whether one person is responsible for all four stabbings.
Police were called to a Fort Washington station around 11:20 a.m. Friday and found a 67-year-old man suffering stab wounds, authorities said at a news conference Saturday afternoon.
Transit chief Kathleen O’Reilly said that the victim had been stabbed by an unidentified man and was taken to the hospital for treatment.
On Friday night, just before 11:30 p.m., police received another call at the Far Rockaway station and found a man on the train with stab wounds on his neck and body. He was pronounced dead at the scene, according to O’Reilly.
About two hours later, an employee of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority found an unconscious 44-year-old woman on a train suffering from multiple stab wounds, according to authorities. She died at a hospital.
Around that same time, a 43-year-old man was found on the subway station in Fort Washington with stab wounds. The man told police that he was attacked by an unknown male, said Brian McGee, chief of detectives for northern Manhattan.
The victim was taken to the hospital, where he was in stable condition.
Bombshell Report Surfaces On COVID Deaths In New York Nursing Homes
Republicans were outraged. U.S. Rep. Lee Zeldin, R-N.Y., called for a Justice Department investigation.
“The families of thousands of dead New York seniors deserve accountability and justice for the true consequences of Governor Cuomo’s fatally flawed nursing home policy and the continued attempts to cover it up. It’s clear what’s happening here is criminal,” Zeldin said.
The Post report coincided with a second correction from state officials in as many weeks about underreported nursing-home deaths.
ALBANY, N.Y. — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo had one overriding message Tuesday as he delivered his annual budget address from New York’s state Capitol: If Washington doesn’t send New York $15 billion as part of a pandemic relief package, he’ll have no choice but to slash public payrolls, cut services and raise taxes on the rich.
Cuomo argued that the state is uniquely entitled to those funds because the pandemic hit New York so hard last spring and was comparatively defenseless thanks to federal government bungling.
He went one step further and threatened to pursue litigation if the federal government did not acquiesce to his ask, though officials, when asked, did not immediately say whom the state might sue or what legal arguments New York could employ.
For the moment, though, it’s uncertain whether the state will get what it is asking for, and its new budget, due at the end of March, reflects that uncertainty. “We don’t know, in short, what level of aid we will get, but the budget is dependent on that number,” he said.
The full amount would mean New York could avoid squeezing its localities out of their allotted aid, offer relief to small businesses and restaurants, focus on education and workforce issues, and get on the road to recovery, he said. Anything less, he said, would be an affront to the suffering the state experienced as one of the first to be overwhelmed by the pandemic, calling it a “2021 version of the federal government saying ‘drop dead’ to New York.”
- Police were called to Brooklyn’s Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood on Sunday
- At least seven shot with a woman, 20, killed as cops hunt more than one gunman
- On Saturday afternoon a man was shot dead in a robbery at a Harlem project
- Earlier on Saturday a man was pushed onto the tracks of a subway in Brooklyn
- The 29-year-old managed to scramble to safety and was unharmed
- He was the second person shoved onto the subway tracks in three days
- Hospital staff and EMTs say they are struggling with COVID and the violence
It’s mass transit, all right.
New York City subway riders were fuming Saturday over the utter lack of social distancing on a very packed train, video shows.
Dozens of straphangers were already squeezed “like sardines” inside an N train when it pulled into the Lexington 59th street station around 5:00 p.m., according to the footage.
Some riders jammed into the car — but one outraged woman asked “What the f–k distance is this? They’re squeezing like sardines.”
“It’s because MTA don’t give a f–k about the people,” said a man standing outside the overflowing train doors.
“The MTA is running as much service as we can with the crews we have available,” MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan said in a statement.