Three people were charged with pilfering tens of thousands of dollars by obtaining credit in the names of seven residents of the Florida condo that collapsed.
A notification that Ms. Ortiz’s mailing address had been changed. Requests for replacement credit cards to be mailed to a new address. Unauthorized wire transfers. Purchases charged to her cards.
The sister, Nicole Ortiz, notified the police. It was July 9, barely two weeks after the June 24 collapse — and the day of Ana Ortiz’s funeral.
The results of the investigation, which grew to involve several local and federal law enforcement agencies, were revealed on Wednesday, when prosecutors in Miami-Dade County announced that they had charged three people for stealing the identities of at least seven Champlain Towers residents. Five of them, including Ms. Ortiz, had been killed in the June 24 collapse. Two had survived.
The Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office announced details “about the arrests made in the identity theft cases which targeted victims in the collapse of the Champlain Tower South Condominium.”
Those arrested include Betsy Alexandra Cacho Medina, 30, Rodney Choute, 38, and Kimberly Michelle Johnson, 34, the Miami Herald first reported prior to the press conference, citing law enforcement sources. Charges includes organized scheme to defraud and several counts of identity fraud.
The trio allegedly commandeered the identities of at least five Surfside victims, three dead and two survivors, according to the Herald, to open credit cards and make fraudulent purchases.
LAKELAND, Fla. — Four people were killed, an 11-year-old girl was shot and deputies came under fire early Sunday in a neighborhood in North Lakeland, Florida.
Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said the shootings took place at 4:30 a.m. in two separate houses on the same property.
Judd said two separate shootouts occurred “in short order” between law enforcement and the suspect, Bryan Riley, 33, of Brandon, Florida. Riley was shot once and surrendered shortly after, he said. Lakeland police and troopers from the Florida Highway Patrol were also involved. No law officers were injured in the shootout.
After Riley was in custody, police discovered an 11-year-old girl who had been shot “multiple times,” as well as a man, two women and an infant dead.
Since the partial collapse of Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida, which left 98 people dead, officials have sought to review the structural integrity of buildings.
Hundreds of Miami residents were forced from their eight-story condo building on Monday night after city officials determined the structure was unsafe.
The 137-unit building at 5050 NW Seventh St. was placed under an evacuation order, according to Miami building director Asael “Ace” Marrero, NBC Miami reported.
“We obviously don’t feel that it’s safe,” he told the news station. “Structural integrity has been degraded by the contractor proceeding with the repairs that they were not authorized to do.”
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – One person was killed and a large fire broke out following a fuel tanker crash on Sunday afternoon.
According to authorities, the driver of a large fuel tanker lost control of the vehicle, causing it to fall off of the ramp from I-595 westbound to the Turnpike southbound.
There has been no word from officials on whether any other vehicles were involved.
Authorities have also not provided any information on the identity of the person who died.
All eastbound lanes of I-595 in the area of Davie Blvd. were closed, as was the southbound entrance ramp from the Florida Turnpike to I-595, according to Florida Highway Patrol.
When the decision was made to transition to recovery mode, “It took a little piece of the hearts of this community,” U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz said Thursday.
- At least 10 people have died and more than 150 are still missing after Champlain Towers partially collapsed early Thursday in Surfside
- Rescuers on Sunday identified four additional victims
- Families of the missing rode buses to a site nearby where they could watch rescue teams at work
- The death toll has risen to nine after a 12-story condominium building collapsed in Florida, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said in a press conference Sunday morning.
- Search and rescue teams created a 125-feet-long trench at the rescue site on Saturday, which allowed authorities to recover additional bodies and human remains, Levine Cava said.
“We’ve identified four of the victims and notified the next of kin…We are making every effort to identify those others who have been recovered and additionally contacting their family members as soon as we are able,” Levine Cava said.
Champlain Towers South collapsed suddenly early Thursday morning in Surfside, Florida, just north of Miami Beach.
Search and rescue teams created a 125-feet-long trench at the rescue site on Saturday, which allowed authorities to recover additional bodies and human remains, Levine Cava said.
Miami-Dade police on Saturday night identified four of the deceased as Stacie Dawn Fang, 54; Antonio Lozano, 83; Gladys Lozano, 79; and Manuel LaFont, 54.Authorities said 156 people remained missing as of Saturday.
Levine Cava and Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett told press on Sunday morning that searchers contained fire in the rescue site on Saturday and are continuing rescue operations. Teams from Mexico and Israel are aiding rescue efforts, according to Levine Cava and Burkett.
With 159 people unaccounted for following the collapse of a condo in Florida, a Pittsburgh native and her husband are among them.
Nicole Doran-Manashirov, originally from South Park, and her husband Ruslan Manashirov are missing. Some of her lifelong friends in Pittsburgh said the couple lived on the 7th floor, in one of the units that came down when the 12-story building partially collapsed Thursday.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said Friday that officials have confirmed that four people have died following a partial building collapse in the Miami area. She added that 159 people are still missing.
Cava said that firefighters pulled three additional deceased victims from the wreckage during a “tragic night.” Officials said search and rescue efforts are ongoing.
“We still have hope that we will find people alive,” Cava said.
June 25 (Reuters) – The death toll from the collapse of a Miami oceanfront apartment block has risen to three, ABC News reported, and nearly 100 people remained unaccounted for as rescue workers continued their search for survivors in the rubble.
U.S. President Joe Biden approved an emergency declaration in the state of Florida and ordered federal assistance to supplement state and local response efforts.
“The President’s action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts,” the White House said on Friday.
Rescue crews picked through tons of rubble on Thursday looking for survivors. read more
Search teams detected sounds of banging and other noises but no voices coming from the mounds of debris hours after a large section of the Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside, a barrier island town across Biscayne Bay from the city, crumbled to the ground, authorities said.
Footage captured by a security camera nearby showed an entire side of the building crumbling in two sections, one after the other, throwing up clouds of dust at about 1:30 a.m. (0530 GMT) on Thursday.
What caused the 40-year-old high-rise to cave in within seconds was not immediately known, although local officials said the 12-storey tower was undergoing roof construction and other repairs.
Footage from the inside the Miami condo that collapse was posted on Twitter and shows debris falling before the footage shakes and the video shuts off.
- A 13-second video from inside the Miami condo collapse shows debris falling, the footage shaking and the the video cutting out
- So far, one person is confirmed dead, 11 are injured and 99 people are still unaccounted for
- Rescue teams are currently entering the rubble in groups of 10 to 12 at a time with dogs and other equipment as they trawl the wreckage for any survivors
- Hundreds of distraught relatives gathered at a family reunification center holding photos of their loved ones as they awaited news
- There’s still no official cause of the collapse
Rescuers in Surfside, near Miami, are searching for survivors after an apartment building partially collapsed
- At least 1 person is confirmed dead, and 99 unaccounted for
- Gov. DeSantis said rescuers ‘still have hope’ they will find more survivors as they continue sorting through the rubble
- President Biden has spoken with local officials about the catastrophe
A shooting at a Publix supermarket in Florida left three people dead, including the suspected shooter, authorities said Thursday.
The shooting occurred shortly after 11:30 a.m. ET inside a Publix store on the 1100 block of Royal Palm Beach Blvd., in Royal Palm Beach — about 15 miles west of Palm Beach — according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.
It was not immediately clear who the suspected shooter was, but authorities identified the three victims as one man, one woman and one child.
(CNN)Police are asking for the public’s help in finding whoever opened fire at a Florida club early Sunday, killing at least two people and wounding at least 20 more, Miami-Dade Police Department Director Alfredo Ramirez III said.Shortly after midnight, a white Nissan Pathfinder pulled up to the El Mula Banquet Hall near Hialeah and three people “stepped out of the vehicle with assault rifles and handguns and started firing indiscriminately into the crowd,” Ramirez said.
“The result is 20 to 25 victims with gunshot injury wounds, and two deceased on the scene,” he said.
The wounded were taken to various hospitals in the area. At least one of those hospitalized is in critical condition, police said.
Several suspects are currently in custody and being questioned by detectives.
Aventura Major Michael Bentolila said that two groups of people got into a fight outside of a Hugo Boss store. One person brandished a weapon, which spurred someone in the other group to pull out a gun and start firing.
Multiple agencies are currently looking for the shooter, who fled the mall, Bentolila said.
Authorities started responding to the mall at 3:39 p.m. At least three people were transported to a local hospital and one of them is currently in the trauma center, according to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.
Two spring breakers from North Carolina were arrested and accused of drugging, raping and stealing from a woman who died later at a hotel in Miami Beach, Florida, authorities said Monday.
The men, Evoire Collier, 21, and Dorian Taylor, 24, face charges of sexual battery, burglary and other crimes, court records show. They remain in custody; a bond amount was not listed Monday evening.
Officials in Miami Beach have struggled to handle waves of beachgoers who have flocked to the area since last month. There have been more than 1,000 arrests since February, and on Sunday, the city imposed a new curfew and other restrictions that could last until mid-April.
The city of Miami Beach on Saturday declared a state of emergency over spring break crowds that have descended on the popular South Florida destination.
During an afternoon news conference, Mayor Dan Gelber announced an 8 p.m. curfew for the South Beach entertainment district. He also said shore-bound traffic on the city’s causeways would be shuttered.
Both measures will be in effect for at least 72 hours, the mayor said, while extending the emergency is debated by officials.
The city will impose an 8 p.m. curfew in the South Beach entertainment district.
Video from a local resident’s porch camera showed the small plane falling from the sky and striking a car as it was driving along the street.
(CNN)Two FBI agents were fatally shot and three agents were wounded in a shootout as they executed a search warrant in Sunrise, Florida, on Tuesday morning, the FBI said.The subject of the warrant is dead, the FBI said in a statement.The shooting occurred at about 6 a.m. as a team of law enforcement officers executed the federal court-ordered search warrant as part of a violent crimes against children case, according to a statement from FBI Miami Special Agent Michael D. Leverock and spokesman Jim Marshall.At an afternoon media briefing, Special Agent in Charge George Piro said the suspect opened fire.Two agents with multiple gunshot wounds were taken to the hospital and are in stable condition, officials said. The third injured agent was treated at the scene.FBI Director Christopher Wray identified the deceased agents as Special Agent Daniel Alfin and Special Agent Laura Schwartzenberger.“Every day, FBI Special Agents put themselves in harm’s way to keep the American people safe. Special Agent Alfin and Special Agent Schwartzenberger exemplified heroism today in defense of their country,” he said in a statement. “The FBI will always honor their ultimate sacrifice and will be forever grateful for their bravery.”
- Donald Trump Jr and Kimberly Guilfoyle are relocating to Palm Beach County
- The pair have bought two waterfront mansions in Admirals Cove near Jupiter
- They are likely to relocate from New York in March but locals are unimpressed
- The general manager of the property owners association received 30 messages
- Some said their arrival was a ‘nightmare’ and would bring ‘disharmony’
- Others were concerned about security threats and ‘notoriety’
- Ivanka and Jared are also moving to Florida, with a new home near Miami
MANALAPAN, Fla. (CBS 12) — A 54-year-old man has died following a single-vehicle crash in Manalapan.
According to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, the driver was traveling northbound on Ocean Drive when the vehicle veered off the road, hitting trees, a utility box, and gas line. The crash resulted in the car catching on fire.
The driver became stuck inside the vehicle. Palm Beach County Fire Rescue pronounced him dead on the scene.
A passenger in the car was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital for his injuries. No word on his condition.
Tragedy occurred at a Florida miniature golf course Friday when a truck veered into the venue, killing two young siblings.
A 6-year-old girl and 4-year-old boy died in the crash in Panama City Beach, which occurred when the driver of a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado truck went off a nearby road and onto the Coconut Creek Family Fun Park, according to the Panama City News Herald.
Reports identify the driver as Scott Davidson of Panama City Beach.One of the children died at a local hospital, and the other died at the scene of the crash, the Panama City News Herald reports.
The children had been playing mini golf with their family and were visiting from Louisville, Ky., according to Tampa Bay news station WTSP.Footage from the scene shows the sidewalk in front of the outdoor event center was closed off as police cars and emergency vehicles surrounded the area.
Epic Theatres of West Volusia, a movie theater in Deltona, Florida is offering drive-in movies nightly. The entertainment option has been well-received by families looking for something fun to do while following social distancing guidelines outside of their homes.
DELTONA — As the sun was setting, Holly Pell and her family arrived at Epic Theatres of West Volusia and settled in for a movie.
They never left their pickup.
It was the New Smyrna Beach family’s second visit since the theater’s conversion to show movies drive-in style, a change prompted by the coronavirus pandemic, but they looked like pros, having set up an inflatable mattress in the truck bed with plenty of pillows, blankets, snacks and drinks.
“I thought it was pretty fun,” said Cypress Wood, Pell’s 14-year-old niece.
“And you can just lay under the stars,” Lydia Pell, Holly’s 12-year-old daughter said.
PENSACOLA, Fla. – A Florida man previously acquitted in the killing of a child was arrested last month and charged with torturing his girlfriend’s 2-year-old daughter, sometimes while wearing a werewolf mask, authorities said.
Andrew Bennett Ross-Celaius, 37, of Pensacola, was arrested April 9 and charged with six counts of aggravated child abuse, four counts of child abuse, a variety of drug charges, possession of a weapon, tampering with evidence and a probation violation, according to the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office. Another man, Eric Everett Furnans, 36, of Pensacola, was arrested Tuesday and charged with destroying evidence in the case after Ross-Celaius was taken into custody. He has since been booked on drug charges
A Boeing 737 jet arriving from the Guantanamo Bay military station in Cuba went 100 feet off the runway at Naval Air Station Jacksonville and into the St. Johns River in Florida on Friday evening.