Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was caught in a series of heated exchanges with House lawmakers Wednesday while being questioned over family separations at the border, with one Democrat accusing her of having “no feeling, no compassion.”
Washington (CNN)The White House is moving forward with plans to shift existing federal funds to pay for construction of a wall on the southern border, a senior administration official said.In the face of several lawsuits challenging Trump’s authority to declare a national emergency to reallocate billions of dollars toward a border wall, the White House plans to first draw from the Defense Department’s drug interdiction program and the Treasury Department’s asset forfeiture funds before moving to divert military construction funds, the official said.Unlike the first two pots of money, the latter can only be accessed through a national emergency declaration, which is now the focus of several lawsuits.
President Trump took bold and decisive action in the best interests of the American people when he declared a national emergency Friday to enable construction of a badly needed barrier along the U.S.-Mexico border to stymie human trafficking, drug trafficking and criminal crossings.
The president’s move is a dramatic contrast to the radical position of Democrats supporting open borders and the abolition of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency, a vital law enforcement organization that protects our national security.President Trump’s national emergency declaration is well within his executive authority. Along with other executive action and a new spending bill passed by Congress, it will permit him to reallocate and aggregate $8.1 billion in funding for a barrier along our southern border
“We fight wars that are 6,000 miles away – wars that we should have never been in in many cases, but don’t control our own border,” the president said in announcing his action.
- State oil company Petroleos Mexicanos, or Pemex, said the pipeline, which supplies much of central Mexico with fuel, had just reopened after being shut since Dec. 23 and that it had been breached 10 times over three months.
- By Saturday evening the death toll from Friday’s blaze had risen to 73, with another 74 people injured and dozens more were missing.
- The tragedy came just three weeks after President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador launched an offensive against fuel theft gangs that have drilled dangerous, illegal taps into pipelines an astounding 12,581 times in the first 10 months of 2018, an average of about 42 per day.
Hidalgo Gov. Omar Fayad said at least 71 others were injured after a explosion in Tlahuelilpan, a town about 80 miles north of Mexico City.The fire is still burning, Fayad said.In a statement, state oil company Pemex said the explosion was caused by illegal taps in the pipeline. Fayad called on the community to not steal gasoline.Residents who live in the immediate vicinity of the pipeline, which runs from the cities of Tuxpan to Tula in the state of Veracruz, have been evacuated, Pemex said in the statement.
The scene was a familiar one: The group had a mix of people that included some mothers carrying their young children on their shoulders. It’s unclear where the group will rest, but past migrants have used the Honduran city of Quimistan, which is 35 miles from the bus stop, as an early checkpoint.
As they walked, some migrants pleaded with local store owners to give them food or water for their journey, according to the Associated Press.
MEXICO CITY — Mexican authorities are investigating a battle between two suspected gangs that left at least 20 bodies, 17 of them burned, in a border town.
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said at his daily morning news conference that initial information pointed to a “battle between two groups,” and that security officials would later provide further information.