- Florence made landfall as a hurricane near Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, Friday morning. The tropical storm was located about 15 miles west of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- A mother and an infant were killed when a tree fell onto their home in Wilmington. Police said the father was taken to a nearby hospital.
- More than 16 inches of rain have fallen in southeast North Carolina and another 20 to 25 inches is on the way, the hurricane center said.
- Over 700,000 homes and businesses were without power in North Carolina on Friday night, according to North Carolina Emergency Management.
- Nearly 2,100 flights have been canceled through Saturday.
- 11 million Americans live in areas under storm watches and warnings.
Source: Tropical Storm Florence: 5 killed as storm hits North Carolina, South Carolina, as a hurricane today – latest weather forecast, path, power outages, flooding zone impact – live updates – CBS News