(NBC News) – Capsized Boat Found in Search for Boys Missing Off Florida Coast –

An overturned boat was found Sunday belonging to two teenage boys who went missing while fishing off the Florida coast two days earlier, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

The 19-foot white single-engine boat that Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen, both 14, took out off the coast of Jupiter, Florida, Friday, was found about 67 nautical miles off the coast near Daytona Beach, said U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Stephen Lehmann. There was no sign of the boys on the boat, according to the Coast Guard.

A Coast Guard spokesman said one life vest was found in the hull of the boat, but the boys’ families did not know how many life vests were originally on board or if the boys would have been wearing them.

The Coast Guard has anchored the boat where it was located, and crews are searching the area off Daytona Beach, which is about 200 miles north of Jupiter, for the teens.

“This provides us an intelligent view of the currents in the area, which helps us dictate where we are going to put our personnel,” Lehmann said. “Our priority is finding these boys.”

Austin and Perry were last seen buying $110 worth of fuel at 1:30 p.m. and reported missing at about 5 p.m., according to the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard and numerous other agencies have covered nearly 14,500-square nautical miles in their search for the boys, and the families of two teenage boys offered a $100,000 reward Sunday for anyone who helps to bring them home safely.

Image: Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen
The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen after they did not return from their fishing trip in the vicinity of Jupiter, Florida. U.S. Coast Guard

“We think clearly that people want the boys rescued without money,” but “there is a little extra incentive beyond the norm,” Perry’s stepfather Nick Korniloff told reporters. “We’ll do anything to get our children back.”

Hall-of-Fame NFL player Joe Namath, who is Korniloff’s neighbor and said he has known Perry for 10 years, also appealed to the public for help.

“We’ll keep on looking until we find them,” the Super Bowl-winning quarterback said. “We’re all praying. … The good Lord’s gotta help us out.”

Korniloff said the teens would have never been allowed to boat to the Bahamas alone. Austin’s mom, Carly Black told NBC affiliate WPTV she’s holding out hope that the boys are alive.

“I just want them home. I know he’s coming home. I just want him home now,” she said.

Perry’s mother, Pamela Cohen echoed that she is confident the boys will be found. “We wholeheartedly believe that they are out there and alive,” she said.

NFL legend and family friend Joe Namath also joined in the plea for help finding young boaters, Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen.

Source: Capsized Boat Found in Search for Boys Missing Off Florida Coast – NBC News

(Defense.gov) – Carter Thanks Troops in Iraq for Helping Nation’s Future

Defense Secretary Ash Carter speaks to troops in Baghdad, July 23, 2015, during a weeklong trip to the Middle East that also includes stops in Israel, Jordan and Saudi Arabia. DoD photo by Army Sgt. 1st Class Clydell Kinchen

By John D. Banusiewicz
DoD News, Defense Media Activity
WASHINGTON, July 24, 2015 – Defense Secretary Ash Carter met with service members in Baghdad yesterday, thanking them for their sacrifices and underscoring the role they play in the fight against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists.

Carter noted that he was in the midst of a weeklong trip in the Middle East region and that he had been meeting with “important people” in several regional capitals.
“You’re the most important people to me,” he said, “and I just want you to know that. … You are why I wake up every morning. You’re what I’m thinking about every day. It’s you –- you [and] your families.”
The secretary told the service members that he appreciates them serving in Iraq while their families wait back home.
Contributing to World Security
“I don’t take it for granted that it’s uncomfortable here, that you put yourself in harm’s way, and that you’re doing that for your fellow citizens of the United States,” he said. “Because our first job is to protect our people and our country, but also, because of who we are, we contribute to the security of the wider world. And it is a big world out there, and we have responsibilities all over it.”
Because it is the world’s most powerful and influential power, Carter said, other nations want to work with the United States — “because they like us, because they like who we are and what we stand for and the way we conduct ourselves.”
That’s a compliment, he added, but it’s also a big burden.
“The Middle East is an important place in the world,” he said. “It’s not the only important place in the world, but it’s a very important one to our country and to world security, and Iraq is an important part of the Middle East.”
The campaign against ISIL will succeed, Carter said, “because civilization always wins over barbarism.”
If beating ISIL once was all there was to it, he told the U.S. service members, they could do it. But that’s not the issue, he said.
Keeping ISIL Beaten
“The defeat we need to give to [ISIL] is a lasting defeat — a defeat that sticks,” he said. “And that can only be done if we’re supporting the people who live here. … To keep them beaten requires the capable, motivated forces here in Iraq, and that requires the support of the Iraqi people.”
The United States can help, enable, train, equip and support the Iraqi security forces in beating ISIL, Carter said.
“But we can’t substitute for them. … We can’t keep them beaten,” he added. “Only the people who live here can keep them beaten.”
The campaign is headed in the right direction, Carter said. “If it were only up to us, it would be more straightforward, but it’s not,” he added. “We have to work with, by, and through them. And that’s what we’re doing. And that takes some time, and it takes some effort, but that’s what it takes to make victories stick when we have victory.”
The secretary told the troops he had spoken with Iraqi leaders earlier in the day, and they understand that and are committed to it.
“So we hope that they can deliver that,” Carter said.

Source: Defense.gov News Article: Carter Thanks Troops in Iraq for Helping Nation’s Future

(WTTE FOX28) – Hillary Clinton Confident About Proper Handling of Emails

Sean Rowe

WINTERSET, Iowa (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton said she never knowingly sent or received classified information using her private email server and did not know what messages were being cited by intelligence investigators as examples of emails containing classified information.
Clinton spoke briefly Saturday about the email matter after a Democratic gathering at the Madison County Historical Complex in which she stressed her commitment to a variety of issues, including her support for pre-kindergarten education and abortion access. Reporters raised the topic of the email during a brief news conference.
“I am confident that I never sent or received any information that was classified at the time it was sent and received. What I think you’re seeing here is a very typical kind of discussion, to some extent disagreement among various parts of the government, over what should or should not be publicly released,” she said.
The front-runner for her party’s nomination said she wanted the information in question to be made public as soon as possible and suggested there was confusion over the issue.
“I think there’s so much confusion around this that I understand why reporters and the public are asking questions, but the facts are pretty clear. I did not send nor receive anything that was classified at the time,” she said.
Intelligence investigators told the Justice Department in a letter this week that secret government information may have been compromised in the unsecured system she used at her New York home during her tenure as secretary of state.
Asked if the Justice Department should investigate, Clinton said: “They can fight over it or argue over it. That’s up to them. I can tell you what the facts are.”
In addition to alerting the Justice Department to the potential compromise of classified information, the inspector general of the U.S. intelligence community sent a memo to members of Congress indicating that “potentially hundreds of classified emails” were among the 30,000 that Clinton had provided to the State Department.
The office said it also raised that concern with FBI counterintelligence officials and was recommending changes in how the emails are being reviewed and processed for public release. The State Department is reviewing 55,000 pages of emails with the goal of releasing all of them by Jan. 29.
The intelligence inspector general, I. Charles McCullough, and his counterpart at the State Department, Steve Linick, said that McCullough’s office found four emails containing classified information in a limited sample of 40 emails.
Whether the Justice Department would investigate the potential compromise the intelligence inspector general highlighted was not clear. The referral to the Justice Department does not seek a criminal probe and does not specifically target Clinton.
In its letter to congressional oversight committees, the inspector general’s office said that it was concerned that “these emails exist on at least one private server and thumb drive with classified information and those are not in the government’s possession,” Andrea Williams, a spokeswoman for McCullough, said earlier this week.
The letter said none of the emails was marked “classified” at the time it was sent or received but that some should have been handled as such and sent on a secure computer network.
Clinton has said she used the private server at her home as a matter of convenience to limit her number of electronic devices.
Source: Hillary Clinton Confident About Proper Handling of Emails – WTTE – WTTE FOX28

(reuters) – Suspect fatally wounded after shooting at Florida trooper: authorities

A suspect died from a gunshot wound on Saturday after he allegedly shot at a state trooper, who stopped to help the driver of a broken down vehicle along a northern Florida highway, authorities said.

The unidentified man fired several rounds from a handgun at a Florida Highway Patrol trooper along Interstate 75 in Micanopy, Florida, 15 miles (24 km) south of Gainesville, the Alachua County Sheriff said.

The trooper was uninjured during the incident that unfolded at about 8:30 a.m. local time, Alachua County Sheriff spokesman Art Forgey said.
Responding police surrounded the suspect in dense woods near the highway before he was fatally wounded. It was not immediately clear whether the gunman shot himself or was shot by police, according to Forgey.

Forgey said the shooter was associated with the broken down vehicle, but did not know whether he was the driver or a passenger.

A motive for the shooting was not immediately known, Forgey said.

The highway was shut down for several hours as police searched for the shooter in the woods.

(Reporting by Brendan O’Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by Fiona Ortiz in Chicago, Bernard Orr)

Repeating:
A suspect died from a gunshot wound on Saturday after he allegedly shot at a state trooper, who stopped to help the driver of a broken down vehicle along a northern Florida highway, authorities said.

Source: >Suspect fatally wounded after shooting at Florida trooper: authorities

(OnPolitics) – Trump still tops Republican polls |

 Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks in Phoenix on July 11, 2015. (Ross D. Franklin, AP)
>Even after a week of attacks over his criticism of John McCain, Donald Trump continues to lead the Republican Party presidential field, a new CNN/ORC poll says.Trump, at 18% among Republican and GOP-leaning voters, leads Jeb Bush at 15% and Scott Walker with 10%, the survey says.The many other Republican candidates are in single digits.“Trump’s backing has climbed 6 points since a late-June poll, while support for Bush and Walker has not changed significantly,”
CNN reports.Two other NBC News-Marist polls also show Trump doing well in the early contest states of Iowa and New Hampshire.The billionaire leads in New Hampshire with 21%, followed by Bush at 14%, and Walker at 12%.Walker, the governor of Wisconsin, leads in neighboring Iowa with 19%, followed by Trump at 17%, and Bush at 12%, according to the NBC-Marist survey.Reports NBC News:The polls were conducted July 14-21 — so before and after Trump’s controversial comments belittling John McCain’s war record on July 18. And they suggest the comments didn’t affect Trump in Iowa (he was at 16% before the comments and 18% after), but they did hurt him in New Hampshire (26% before, 14% after).In an interview on CNN’s State of the Union Sunday, Trump said voters are simply tired of ineffectual politicians.
“This is more than me,” Trump said. “This is a movement going on. People are tired of these incompetent politicians in Washington that can’t get anything done. They can’t make deals. They can’t do anything.”Despite his momentum, most Republicans do not see Trump actually winning the GOP Republican nomination next year — 31% expect Bush to be the nominee, while 22% believe Trump will be. Another 14% predict a Walker nomination.
CNN reports that poll was done after Trump “earned rebukes from Republican leaders over his comments about Senator John McCain’s military service.”
Source: Trump still tops Republican polls | OnPolitics

(Fox News) – At least 120 killed as Saudi-led airstrikes target Yemeni residential area

The aftermath of a Saudi-led air strike on Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, on 20 July. Photograph: Khaled Abdullah/Reuters

(AP)SANAA, Yemen –  Saudi-led coalition airstrikes hit a residential area in a quiet Red Sea town in Yemen, killing at least 120 people in the deadliest strike against civilians since the March offensive began, security and medical officials said.Hours later, the coalition unexpectedly announced that it would start a five-day humanitarian pause on Sunday, just before midnight.The airstrikes late Friday hit workers’ housing for a power plant in Mokha, flattening some of the buildings to the ground, the officials said. A fire erupted in the area, charring many of the corpses, including children, women and elderly people.Wahib Mohammed, an eyewitness and area resident, said some of the bodies were torn apart by the force of the blast and buried in a mass grave on Saturday. Some of the strikes also hit nearby livestock pens, he said. Human and animal blood pooled on the ground of the surrounding area.The deadly strike highlights growing concerns that the Saudi-led coalition’s airstrikes are increasingly killing civilians as they continue to target Shiite rebels known as Houthis.”It just shows what is the trend now of the airstrikes from the coalition,” said Hassan Boucenine of the Geneva-based Doctors Without Borders. “Now, it’s a house, it’s a market, it’s anything.”He added that many of the workers had families visiting for the Eid al-Fitr holiday at the end of the holy month of Ramadan. Mokha, populated largely by fisherman, had a reputation as one of the safest places in the country embroiled in war, said Boucenine.Saudi officials could not be reached for comment, and the government’s official media did not issue a statement about the deadly strike. Over the course of the war, rights groups like Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have expressed concern that the Saudi-led coalition is violating laws of war and not doing enough to prevent or minimize civilian casualties.It is not clear why the workers’ housing was hit. Yemeni security officials said the closest Houthi outpost to Friday evening’s strike is at least 5 kilometers (3 miles) away. Four airstrikes hit the residence after Saudi-led coalition planes launched dozens of missiles on positions of Shiite Houthi rebels and their allies in the surrounding area. The strikes in the area continued Saturday as dozens of families fled, security officials and eyewitnesses said.A military official said the coalition had been given incorrect coordinates. He denied that the coordinates had come from anyone in the district and said he called the coalition to inform them of the high number of civilian casualties.All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters.Boucenine, of Doctors Without Borders, said the hospital in Mokha had closed weeks prior due to a lack of medical supplies and staff. Some of the injured died en route to the hospital in the city of Hodeida, 180 kilometers (112 miles) north. The provincial capital of Taiz was inaccessible due to ongoing fighting. Boucenine said the hospital confirmed 44 fatalities, though he expected the actual toll was significantly higher.Deif Allah al-Shamy, a Houthi leader, called Friday’s strike “an ugly crime and a flagrant violation of human rights.”Houthi rebels have also been criticized by rights groups for causing civilian casualties. Houthis and their allies randomly shelled a town earlier this week outside of Aden after losing control of some the port city’s neighborhoods, killing nearly 100 people, Doctors Without Borders said.Since March 26, at least 1,693 civilians have been killed in the Yemen fighting, with 3,829 wounded, the U.N. said earlier this week. It says civilians have been killed by mortar fire and ground fighting though “the majority of the casualties are reported to have been caused by air strikes.”The fighting in Yemen pits the Houthis and troops loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh against southern separatists, local and tribal militias, Sunni Islamic militants and loyalists of exiled President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, who is now in Saudi Arabia.The U.N. human rights office said in a statement this week that “since 17 June, there has been further destruction of civilian infrastructure, with at least 36 buildings, including hospitals, schools, court houses, power generation facilities, and communications institutions partially or totally damaged.”Less than a day after the deadly strike, the Saudi-led coalition announced it will start a five-day humanitarian pause in Yemen on Sunday just before midnight.The statement, carried on Saudi state media Saturday, said the pause came as a result of a request by Hadi to Saudi’s King Salman.It said the coalition will cease military operations, but that it will respond should Houthi rebels or their allies conduct any military actions or movements.The truce is intended to give pause to months of punishing fighting in the war-torn impoverished Gulf nation and allow for the dispersing of much-needed humanitarian aid.

The previous humanitarian pause, which was announced earlier this month and was expected to last until the end of the holy month of Ramadan, never truly went into effect as both sides blamed each other and civilian deaths continued.

Source: At least 120 killed as Saudi-led airstrikes target Yemeni residential area | Fox News