Vigil for Manchester victims interrupted by man armed with knife – NY Daily News

A vigil for victims of the Manchester bombing held in Birmingham on Tuesday was interrupted by a man armed with a knife and baseball bat.

Footage from the scene sees police surrounding the assailant, who was quickly detained, local media reported.

Source: Vigil for Manchester victims interrupted by man armed with knife – NY Daily News

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

At least 19 people dead following ‘terrorist incident’ at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

Witnesses reported hearing an explosion after a performance by the U.S. singer.

“This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise,” the Greater Manchester Police said in a statement.

Source: At least 19 people dead following ‘terrorist incident’ at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

82 Chibok Girls Abducted By Boko Haram Reunite With Families In Nigeria : The Two-Way : NPR

In an emotional reunion, 82 of the Chibok girls hugged their families for the first time since they were abducted by Boko Haram militants in 2014. The girls will remain in government care for now.

“Today I thank God, my daughter is alive,” Yahi Bulata told NPR’s Ofeibea Quist-Arcton as he hugged his now 21-year-old daughter, Comfort Bulus Bulata. He said he hoped she would now be able to continue her education. Mothers sang a song of thanks.

Source: 82 Chibok Girls Abducted By Boko Haram Reunite With Families In Nigeria : The Two-Way : NPR

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

One dead, two wounded as Paris police come under fire on Champs-Elysees

A gunman opened fire on French police Thursday on Paris’s best-known boulevard, killing one officer and wounding two others before being fatally shot himself in an incident that raised the specter of renewed terrorism just three days before voters go to the polls to elect a new president.

The Islamic State promptly claimed responsibility for the attack, French news media reported. The gunman was slain while attempting to flee.

Source: One dead, two wounded as Paris police come under fire on Champs-Elysees

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

Norway police neutralize explosive device, arrest suspect – NY Daily News

STAVANGER, Norway (AP) — An explosive device found by a busy subway station in the Norwegian capital forced police to evacuate late night bars and restaurants, but officials said the device was neutralized and a suspect arrested.

Police Chief Vidar Pedersen confirmed that the device found Saturday night, initially described as “bomb-like,” was an explosive. The police Twitter account said it had been defused or neutralized.

Source: Norway police neutralize explosive device, arrest suspect – NY Daily News

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

U.S. Teen Pleads Guilty to ISIS-Inspired Plot to Kill Pope Francis

The suspect hired a sniper, who was an undercover FBI agent, to kill the pontiff during a 2015 visit.

A teenager from New Jersey pleaded guilty Monday to a 2015 assassination plot, inspired by the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) and its focus a high-profile target: Pope Francis.

The pontiff visited the U.S. in 2015, parading in his open ‘Popemobile’ at a Mass held in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on September 27.

The U.S. Justice Department said it was here that Santos Colon, 15 years old at the time, attempted to recruit a sniper to shoot and kill the leader of the Catholic faith, who is revered by more than a billion followers.

Source: U.S. Teen Pleads Guilty to ISIS-Inspired Plot to Kill Pope Francis

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

London attack: British police reportedly make arrests in raid on home | Fox News

British authorities reportedly made several arrests during an armed raid at a home Thursday in connection to the terror attack which left five people dead, including the police officer and the attacker.

Authorities cordoned off several roads in Birmingham, which is just over 100 miles from London, Sky News reported. London metro police said they were not “prepared to discuss the matter for operational reasons.”

Source: London attack: British police reportedly make arrests in raid on home | Fox News

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

The Latest: Chinese citizen among injured in London attack

Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood, left, stands amongst the emergency services at the scene outside the Palace of Westminster, London, Wednesday, March 22, 2017. London police say they are treating a gun and knife incident at Britain’s Parliament “as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise.” The Metropolitan Police says in a statement that the incident is ongoing. It is urging people to stay away from the area. Officials say a man with a knife attacked a police officer at Parliament and was shot by officers. Nearby, witnesses say a vehicle struck several people on the Westminster Bridge. (Stefan Rousseau/PA via AP). (Associated Press)

China says one of its citizens was among 40 people injured in the attack outside Britain’s Parliament, and is urging Chinese nationals in the country to avoid crowded areas or traveling alone at night.

The Chinese Embassy in London said Thursday it was in touch with the family of the Chinese citizen injured in Wednesday’s attack. Its statement did not provide further details.

Chinese President Xi Jinping condemned the attack, sent condolences to Queen Elizabeth II and extended his regards to the families of those killed and injured.

Source: The Latest: Chinese citizen among injured in London attack

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

Latest: Man shot dead in Paris airport after grabbing a gun from anti-terror officer

The airport has been evacuated after the incident at the south terminal.

Update 10.50am:A man has been shot dead after grabbing a gun from a female anti-terror officer at Orly Airport in Paris.

Authorities say earlier, the man shot and injured a traffic officer, before escaping and driving to the terminal in a stolen car.

The airport has been evacuated, and flights are being diverted to Paris’ other airport – Charles de Gaulle.

Update 9.55am: Police in Paris are linking two shootings that took place in the city this morning, one at a police checkpoint and one at Orly Airport.

French police shot dead a man at Orly Airport after he grabbed a soldier’s gun, while a traffic officer was injured in the earlier incident.

Passengers at Orly described gunshots and panic.

A witness identified only as Dominque said on BFM television: “The soldiers took aim at the man, who in turn pointed the gun he had seized at the two soldiers.”

Another man said a group of three soldiers were targeted, and they tried to calm the man who had seized the weapon. Then the man said he heard two gunshots.

Another witness, identified as Patrick, said he was at the check-in counter when he saw someone come in from outside and the incident began.

Source: Latest: Man shot dead in Paris airport after grabbing a gun from anti-terror officer

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

US Air Force veteran convicted of attempting to join Islamic State | SBS News

The conviction marks the first case in more than 75 Islamic State-related prosecutions brought since 2014 by the US Department of Justice to reach a jury verdict. After a week-long trial in Brooklyn federal court, a jury found Pugh, 48, guilty of attempting to provide material support to a designated terrorist organization, and obstruction for destroying four portable electronic storage devices after his detention in Turkey.

Source: US Air Force veteran convicted of attempting to join Islamic State | SBS News

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

The Latest: Bodies on the street, extremists in homes – MiningGazette.com | News, Sports, Jobs – Houghton, Michigan – The Daily Mining Gazette

 

TUNIS, Tunisia (AP) — The Latest on the fighting in a Tunisian town bordering Libya (all times local):

7:15 p.m.

Corpses are lying in the street and extremist gunmen are hiding in homes in the Tunisian town of Ben Guerdane as security forces try to flush them out, according to witnesses.

Gunfire rang out near the town’s main avenue as darkness fell Monday, after an exceptional day of clashes and tension, said resident Raoudha Bouttar, a local journalist.

“I see three corpses on the ground,” she said.

Another witness, who spoke on condition of anonymity out of fear of repercussions from the attackers, said the gunmen spoke of creating a caliphate and “liberating” the town.

Monday’s standoff is among the deadliest violence Tunisia has ever seen between security forces and extremists.

—by Bouazza ben Bouazza

5 p.m.

Tunisia President Beji Caid Essebsi says his country is waging war against barbarians following an attack that left at least 45 people dead near the Libyan border.

Speaking from the capital Tunis, Essebi says extremists now pose a security threat to the entire country.

Essebsi said Monday: “This is an unprecedented attack, planned and organized. Its goal was probably to take control of this area and to announce a new emirate. The majority of Tunisians are now in a state of war against barbarism.”

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack in the town of Ben Guerdane on Tunisia’s eastern border.

Commenters on two Islamic State-affiliated websites say militants loyal to the extremist group are involved in the attack.

___

Source: The Latest: Bodies on the street, extremists in homes – MiningGazette.com | News, Sports, Jobs – Houghton, Michigan – The Daily Mining Gazette

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather

Bomb-making cache found in Northern Ireland – Yahoo News

Police in Northern Ireland on Sunday announced the discovery of a large cache of bomb-making parts and explosives, raising fears of an attack in the province. The bomb-making materials, explosives and partially-constructed devices were found buried in plastic barrels in a forest park in a predominantly unionist area near Larne, 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of Belfast. “It is too early to link these items to any particular grouping, but we are following a number of lines of inquiry,” said Police Service of Northern Ireland detective chief inspector Gillian Kearney.

Source: Bomb-making cache found in Northern Ireland – Yahoo News

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailby feather