Butler County 911 dispatchers say firefighters were dispatched to Moraine Camplands in Brady Township about 4 a.m. Monday. At least three camping vehicles burned, though a cause was not immediately revealed.
DENBO – Sandrea Baumgardner – literally – had a rude awakening Sunday.
The house next door, at 2059 2nd St., caught fire about 4:30 a.m. and was in full rage shortly thereafter. Baumgardner was roused from her sleep by neighbors pounding on her doors. She dressed quickly and stepped out of her home.
“When I came out, the flames were so strong I thought they would singe my eyebrows,” she said around noon, after the blaze reduced the neighboring two-story structure to an ashen shell. Seven hours later, smoke still emanated from what had been home to five people in the Denbo section of Centerville Borough.
Source: Fire destroys Denbo home
The building is owned by SpaceX and is in the process of being refurbished to be used for the company, according to Canaveral Fire Rescue Capt. Brian Dennison.
Its unclear what sparked the fire, but no one from SpaceX was inside the building when it happened, Dennison said.
The blaze, dubbed the Whittier Fire, started July 8 along Highway 154 and burned about 330 acres near Camp Whittier. The fire spread quickly and prompted evacuations at campsites in the area and homes along the corridor.
As of Friday night, the blaze had charred more than 13,000 acres. By 6:45 a.m. Saturday, Forest Service officials said the blaze burned 17,364 acres.
The dead were found on the 26th floor, where the fire broke out around 2:15 p.m., said Fire Chief Manuel Neves. Neves said the Marco Polo apartment complex does not have fire sprinklers, CBS affiliate KGMB-TV reports.
London Fire Brigade said 70 firefighters and 10 fire engines were sent to the site, which is a popular tourist attraction.
LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) crews are currently responding to a fire that occurred this evening at Receiving Station J, located in the Northridge/Reseda area of Los Angeles. The fire began at approximately 6:52 p.m. and involves equipment that carries high voltage electricity and distributes it at lower voltages to customers in the surrounding area.
The fire affected one portion of the Receiving Station, but as an emergency precautionary measure, power to and from the facility has been shut off while LAFD personnel work to put the fire out. At this time the number of customers affected by the power outage is undetermined.
Additional updates will be provided as more information becomes available. LADWP appreciates customers’ patience. As soon as possible, crews will assess damage at the station and begin the work of restoring power to affected customers.